3 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon grated fresh nutmeg
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
3 tablespoons maple syrup
1/2 cup sunflower seeds, roasted without salt
1/2 cup coarsely chopped dried fruit (I used raisins)
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Spray a large rimmed baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place butter and syrup in microwave safe bowl. Heat until the butter is melted.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Stir together until mixed well.
- Stir the butter- syrup mixture to the oat mixture; mix until moistened. Spread the oat mixture into the prepared pan and pat down.
- Bake on a lower rack for 20 minutes. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and use a spatula to move the granola around and expose pieces that were underneath. Bake an additional 15 to 20 minutes longer, or until the granola is golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool.
- When cooled, store in an airtight container for up to two weeks.