It's also vegetarian and with certain rice mixes it can also be gluten free. I especially like this salad because there isn't anything that will go bad. I've been at many cookouts where the food sits out and people graze throughout the evening and I personally get squeamish with dairy products being out for a long period of time; potato salad is a perfect example! I do enjoy cheese sprinkled over the salad so I will bring a separate container of crumbled blue or goat cheese and place it next to the salad bowl for people to do themselves.
Be warned this recipe might become a staple of your summer dinners as well!
- One box of wild grain rice mix; I've used Near East Brown Rice, Uncle Ben's Wild Rice, Zatarains is Gluten free, recently though Farmhouse has been on sale at our Safeway for $1 so I've used it a lot.
- One can of chick peas; drained
- Half of a can of diced tomatoes; drained
- 1 celery stalk, thinly cut
- 2 cups of frozen corn, I cook it in the microwave and then add it to the salad
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup of balsamic vinaigrette dressing; if you are making this dish gluten free be sure to check the label of the dressing. Newman's Own makes a great balsamic vinaigrette dressing that just so happens to be gluten free.
Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl and serve at room temperature.