I love to cook things that use just one pan on the stove and this recipe, if followed, will allow you to do just that. My one pan staple is a deep 6 quart saute pan with a lid, like this one. This recipe is high in protein and has no grains which allows it to be gluten-free and perfectly in line with Paleo diet followers. Serves 6 when using a 9x13 pan.
Preheat convection oven to 350 degrees, I use a convection oven for most of my cooking. It speeds up the cooking time and the heat is distributed evenly. If you are using a traditional conventional oven double the cooking time and watch closely.
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 dozen large eggs
- 5-ounce package of baby kale, destemmed.
- 1/2 of a lemon, juice only
- 1 small onion
- 8 ounces Baby Bella mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
Spray a 9x13 glass pan with cooking oil.
- Destem baby kale leaves and rinse thoroughly, place in a bowl and squeeze the juice of half of a lemon over the leaves and stir by hand. Set aside.
- Cook ground turkey in saute pan uncovered and stir occasionally.
- While ground turkey is cooking, chop onion and mushrooms.
- When the turkey is half cooked with still some visible red, add the onion and mushrooms and cover the pan with a lid. Stir occasionally.
- Once cooked, remove from heat and add the kale, stirring constantly until the leaves are only slightly wilted.
- Add coriander and thyme and stir.
- Pour turkey mixture into the 9x13 cooking pan.
- In the same bowl that the baby kale was in, whisk 1 dozen eggs until fully blended.
- Pour eggs over the ground turkey mixture in the cooking pan. Shake the pan from side to side to distribute the eggs, don't stir!
- With a spoon place dollops of pumpkin over the egg and turkey mixture, as shown.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper, I prefer sea salt.
- Sprinkle crumbled feta evenly over the top.
Bake for 30 minutes in a convection oven, uncovered. And then bake for additional 10 minutes with the pan covered with foil. Test the center with a knife to be sure that it is cooked thoroughly.